Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Beginning with the End in Mind

Welcome to my new blog, Intern to Employee! Having spent many years....ok, maybe not "so" many (I'm not that old!).....hiring, training and mentoring interns and recent graduates, I have learned much about the transition from college to career. I also remember what it felt like to wonder if I knew what I needed to know to handle my new job.

The owner of the company where I held my first interior design position was the example of best manager I have encountered. Paul Stegenga willingly taught his employees those things they had not yet learned and provided experiences for growth. My favorite attribute of Paul's management style was his ability to look at a mistake I had made and say, "next time let's do it this way." He taught me how to correct my mistakes and kept my confidence intact at the same time.

Having someone to answer my questions and teach me the design business, give pointers on what to do as well as correcting mistakes without destroying my confidence was greatly appreciated. Working in that kind of atmosphere can make all the difference in growth as a professional as did my time at Stegenga + Partners.

It is with my first boss in mind that I begin this blog in hopes of being a mentor to those who need a leg up, pat on the back or light in the darkness. May everyone be as fortunate as I was to start my career with such a great company. Thanks for the inspiration Paul!!

No comments:

Post a Comment